Trans Name & Gender Marker Change

Typically during a gender transition, you may wish to change your legal name and your gender marker.  You can do these both at the same time or at different times and there is no one right way to do this.  If you are good with jumping through paperwork hoops, you can do both yourself, which is what I did, though I did consult with an attorney per the judge’s order.

When you are ready, I am happy to write you the name/gender marker change letter of support and have it notarized so you can bring it to court with you.

The name change is typically easier than the gender marker change because it is done for the general public.  You can go to your local county law library to get the appropriate paperwork to file with the clerk of courts.  You will have to be fingerprinted and have a background check prior to appearing before the judge.  Name changes must be done in the county in which you reside.

The gender marker change is usually only granted after a gender altering irreversible procedure such as bottom surgery for trans women and top surgery for trans men.  Your best bet is to attend a legal clinic to get the inside scoop as the laws are changing regularly.  And each judge may rule differently.  You may also wish to contact an attorney to handle the matter for you and there are several listed here that have trans experience.  Gender marker or gender marker plus name change can be done in any county, per my understanding.

Finally, for many, this act of changing one’s name and gender marker are truly life changing milestones in life.  It may be a good time to celebrate with a meaningful ritual or spiritual ceremony.  I’m always happy to help brainstorm ideas for that of course.

Legal Clinic

Legal Counsel

Clerks of Court

Name & Gender Change Packet

Misc Legal Resources

Be Sociable, Share!